A MID 18th CENTURY NORFOLK TERRIER OF NELSON'S VILLAGE

ID: 23632
£450.00
A true copy of a survey of the Lordship and Manor of Hilborrow made in the year 1627.

MANUSCRIPT: HILBOROUGH (NORFOLK) TERRIER,, A true copy of a survey of the Lordship and Manor of Hilborrow made in the year 1627. [Revised and updated] 1748.

Manuscript in ink on 54 leaves, folio, each leaf 37.5 x 24 cms., ruled in red throughout, bound in the original card covers annotated on upper cover in an early 19th century hand ("To be handed over to Mr. Hardy"), the fore-edge of covers a little frayed otherwise in excellent state of preservation.

An 18th century copy of this early 17th century terrier, updated in 1748, showing the names of the then current land and property owners. Excluding those who had various rights on the "heath and warren", the 1627 record shows no fewer than 1221 tenants and landowners, a number that was much reduced by 1748. Hilborough is a modest Norfolk village, a little over 5 miles from Swaffam and 25 miles south-west of Norwich. When this 1748 revision was made, the Rector was an ancestor of Admiral Nelson, indeed, the family of Horatio Nelson, his grandfather, father, uncle-by-marriage and his brother were all Rectors of All Saints' Church, Hilborough. As a young boy, Nelson stayed with his uncle and grandmother in Hilborough. After the battle of the Nile, Nelson was created Baron Nelson of the Nile and Hilborough. This 1748 survey shows that the majority of the land in the parish now belonged to a mere five owners: Edward Bunting, John Harvey, Thomas Snelling jun., William Took and Henry Glen. The original 1627 terrier, the Survey or Field Book of the town of Hilborough, William Hayward surveyor is held by the Norfolk Records Office in Norwich [HIL 2/41 882 x 6].